We appreciate that for some patients, the prospect of visiting the dentist can cause a significant amount of fear and apprehension. If you feel anxious about having dental treatment, rest assured that you’re not alone. The team at Sleep Dentistry Melbourne have been treating patients just like you for many years, and we’re here to put your mind at ease.
First-class facilities in a calming environment
Dental health is important – it’s intrinsically linked to your overall health. And regular check-ups with your dentist are essential to maintaining good dental health and keeping your future visits with us as stress-free as possible.
At Sleep Dentistry Melbourne, we believe you deserve the best dental care possible, and that extends to our staff and facilities. We ensure that you have the best possible experience from the moment you step foot through the door. A comfortable reception, well supplied with reading materials and refreshments, as well as light and spacious dental suites can all help greatly in making sure you feel relaxed and comfortable. We also use essential aromatherapy oils to neutralise dental odours and soothing music to create a calm and serene environment.
Friendly, supportive staff who are here to listen
Our friendly team are here to put you at ease. They are trained to alleviate any fears, ensuring you feel calm and in control during every single visit. Our clinicians are not only experts in their fields, but they’re also sensitive and responsive to dental phobias and anxieties.
When it comes to fears and phobias, we understand the power of being able to communicate and talk openly. Our dentists will take the time to discuss your anxieties or concerns and will answer all your questions. We’ll also explain every step of your treatment beforehand in language that is easy to understand. Throughout any procedure, we’ll continue to make sure you’re comfortable, well-informed and cared for.
There are a number of helpful ways to alleviate your dental anxieties, both at home and during your visit:
- Book a morning appointment so you don’t worry about it all day.
- Remember that your first appointment is a consultation – you can talk everything through with us before treatment.
- Start slowly – ask for a simple clean and polish to get you used to the dentist’s chair.
- Avoid caffeine before your appointment as it can raise your heart rate and make you feel more anxious.
- Make sure you talk to your dentist, specialist or hygienist about your anxiety beforehand, or tell the reception team you’re feeling nervous. Knowing your concerns will allow us to adapt your treatment and keep you comfortable.
- Bring a friend to your appointment for some support.
- Talk to friends and family about their positive experiences at the dentist to give you a fresh perspective.
- During your appointment, focus on keeping your breathing slow and controlled. Quick, nervous or shallow breaths can decrease your oxygen levels and contribute to your anxiety.
- If you don’t like the sound of the drill, load up your favourite music and bring a pair of headphones to distract yourself.
If your anxiety is extreme, we also have a few sedation options to help you through your visit:
- One of our trained sedation dentists can administer a mild sedative called ‘happy gas’ through a nosepiece before your treatment. It’s a safe and common way to relieve your anxieties.
- We also have a range of oral sedation medications that can calm your nerves before a treatment. However, these medications will need to be prescribed by one of our clinicians in advance.
If you’re worried about a dental appointment or have any questions or concerns, give our friendly team a call on 1300 275 337. We’ll be happy to talk through any anxieties. Together, we can find a way to improve your next visit.